Friday, January 11, 2008

Thing #12 - Social Networking Sites

This one seems to be the one that is causing the most hoopla. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive at first. I've heard horror stories about myspace and also how so many young kids are using myspace to communicate with one another. I wasn't going to create a page, and then after reading so many posts on the subject I decided to create a page on myspace so that I could see what it was all about. I first had to have an introduction to the real thing from MW. After that I created a page and had a very difficult time trying to change the background and invite friends. I can't seem to get it to work (probably user error, not computer error). Having created a page and looking at things, I can say it really doesn't interest me.

What does interest me, is discovering where our students are with the social networking. I created a survey similar to Bookmaid's and will be using that with the students soon. I took an informal poll at lunch the other day to see which teachers had their own social network page. I was amazed by the responses. Several had myspace pages, one had a Xanga page and one had a facebook page. Several teachers were clueless. The teachers are all different ages. The one with a facebook page was talking about how much better facebook is because there aren't as many ads. This topic created an interesting lunch conversation. One teacher was commenting on how poorly students write nowadays because they write like they text.

I'm glad I created a page to see what it is all about, but I don't really see the need for it in schools - though it might be a way to get the reluctant, unmotivated student to perform! BTW - here is the link to my page: Anna's myspace page

4 comments:

Ms.PaigeTurner said...

My feelings are very similar to yours. I really didn't want to create an account and I am glad I can delete it later if I choose to. I have trouble making changes and adding information. Luckily, I had my own personal tutor, my daughter. The only good use I can see with myspace in education would be a pen pal program. However, since teachers have no control over content or whose site they view this would not work too well.

Anonymous said...

What was the biggest concern that the librarians you talk to had with starting their own pages? I understand about some of the dangers for the kids, and I wondered if the librarians have those same concerns.

Anna said...

Most of the concerns dealt with identity theft and not wanting more than was needed out on the web for themselves.

Zeeburt said...

Everyone I spoke with had the same "identity theft" concern. It is impossible now to keep yourself completely protected from the fastest growing crime trend today, but the less you have out there, the less likely you are to be found. I love looking at other people's pictures, yet I'm very leary about posting pictures that identify me.