Monday, January 21, 2008

Thing #15 - Wikis

I must admit that prior to my discovery learning I was a bit concerned about the authenticity of wikis. I could only imagine what people might add to someone's wiki. After further review I think that it would be best to have a private wiki where a password is needed to edit content. I think it is an interesting way to get content across. I think that at the elementary level the greatest obstacle we will face is the classroom teacher - resistance to new technology, lack of time, etc. At this point I see the wiki used more among library colleagues, then with students. I'm tossing around the idea of the best way to create a wiki for MISD Elementary librarians based on sharing/using Mockingbird books. Something to pursue after 23 Things.

3 comments:

Library Magic said...

I started Mockingbirds today and I have sent an email to teachers about my Wiki where they can comment on the books.I am going to send a reminder tomorrow to comment if they have time and choose to do so.Like you though I can just hear teachers saying they don't have time for this kind of activity.

speedreader said...

I love the idea of using a Wiki for librarians to discuss Mockingbird books. Every year I feel like we do a good job selecting titles, then when I begin reading them, there are always a few that make me wonder what we were thinking? If we put titles on a wiki and used the password to only allow MISD librarians (or MW or DS) to comment, that might help us out with better choices. But, these would need to be comments about books being considered, not after the fact since we couldn't do anything about it then. However, it's always fun to share a cute story. So here goes...when I was going to read "Animal strike at the Zoo" to a first grade class, I asked the kids what is a strike? One boy answered, "it's when you are a really good bowler and knock down all the pins" And he's right!

library gal said...

I wanted to thank you for creating the Mockingbird wiki. I am enjoying looking at the different ideas, adding my own and trying things out. Great job!