Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thing #20 - YouTube

I enjoy YouTube as an adult, but I realize there are issues with children - as with many things on the internet. It is very easy to find inappropriate video so I don't think it would be appropriate to turn students loose on YouTube, but it would be perfectly acceptable to use clips from YouTube in the classroom. However, you have to keep in mind that amateurs upload the video and so quality is not always good. It is evident in this video of Henry Winkler. I chose this because I was able to hear him in person today and really enjoyed his speech.

I turned my 10 year old nephew on to YouTube over Christmas. He'd heard of it, but never really watched any video. My dad had received an email with a Rube Goldberg type of video in it and my nephew really enjoyed it so I showed him how to search YouTube for other Rube Goldberg video and he spent the next hour or so on YouTube. He is now a frequent watcher of YouTube, according to my sister. We have a student at school that has uploaded cartoon video to YouTube that he created. I cannot remember his user name so I will see about finding it out and posting a video. All of this to say: students are using YouTube.

2 comments:

rookiereader said...

I love the Henry Winklker video you found. What a shame the quality isn't better. H e was a fun speaker today. Maybe the video would at least give teachers a peek into his Hank Zipzer books...I might send it to some of the teacher to see if they might generate some interest in his books.

Zeeburt said...

I have some pretty good Henry Winkler video. I just need to get it uploaded to YouTube. So many ideas...so little time.